Sunday, August 28, 2011

That small building?

Shanghai

I was looking out my office window just now.
The head of HR came into the room, and caught me gazing out of the window.

"Wow," I exclaimed. "Quite an amazing view!!"

"What is that building?" I asked, pointing at the tall brown building you can perhaps see in this picture below.

"I don't know she said."

"What? But that building is so tall. How can you not know what it is?|"

"Well, it is not so tall. Our building is over 80 stories. And now in Shanghai, there are building well over 100 or 110 stories. So that building is only 50 or so stories. It is small. Or normal here in Shanghai. Maybe it is a hotel or something..."

That is how it feels here in Shanghai.

When I was in Boston, I worked in the Prudential building. It was 52 stories - and was nearly the tallest in Boston. Taking the elevator up to the 38th floor was amazing.

But today, my work is on the 56th floor. And the building continues many stories after that. And yet, this building is also nearly the status of normal.

That is Shanghai!

The view from the office where I am working today:

1 comment:

Mia said...

I know the feeling! When we want to Shanghai we were amazed by all the tall buildings with lights. You have to visit Shanghai World Finance Center when you're there, amazing and surreal! Take care!
/Mia Darwall (Jirvell in Sweden).