Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Duck Duck Goose!

Day 2 - Shanghai August Trip

Duck, Duck, Goose is a traditional children's game often first learned in pre-school or kindergarten[1] then later adapted on the playground for early elementary students. The object of this game is to walk in a circle, tapping on each child's head until one is finally chosen to be the new picker.

My story of Duck, Duck Goose is a different one. Even though I am tired tonight, I am typing this out quickly, and dedicating it to Andy.

Today was my first day aback in the office here in Shanghai. Even though there are well over 1,000 people at this company, it really is a good place to work.

Early this evening, I was on Skype. So was Andy - from Sweden. We marveled at the idea of what was happening. I was sitting out in an industrial area of Shanghai, in Pudong. Andy was in Sweden, on the way to an author tour, in a TRAIN, heading for Stockholm. The train had wireless service. I had it here in the hotel. And ta-dum! We could have a video and audio call.

Each night, I go through a dilemma while in China. Some evenings, I am invited out for dinner. In those cases, I am inevitably asked, "What would you like to eat?" My answer is a usual "Whatever is your favorite, as long as it is local." That answer gets eyes to light up. And off we go, usually to a fancy place that is a favorite of the individual when they get to use their expense account.

When I am on my own, a new challenge happens. I always love new food. But it is the emotional turmoil of new adventure that I grapple with. Sometimes you just want something comfortable so the meal is not such a large drama. That is when most people simple go to their hotel restaurant and play it safe.

I have a "no-hotel" policy as part of my food ritual. I always get out - and seek adventure. And preferably, I look for new places.

I was tired last night from jet lag. And while I wanted to just relax, Andy through down the gauntlet by telling me he had read my blog, and was looking forward to the next installation. When you have a journalist (and five book published author) you feel honored - and also nudged to get out there and eat, photograph and write.

Adventurous eating does have some rules, that if followed properly, at least keeps you a bit safe. I look for restaurants where many locals are. I look for restaurants that have a few pictures in the window. That means they have gone through the trouble to photograph their food, and likely have at least one English version of a menu. And if not, at least they have a book of pictures where I can point to.

Usually when I enter one of these restaurants, everyone is usually so flustered to have a foreigner there that they run around trying to figure out what to do with me. They look at each other in fear. They know I might ask a question in English, and few will know what to say. For some reason, I also end up being offered a table in the middle of the room. I suspect that culturally, that is the preferred table, as restaurants are also places to be seen. (Unless you are with your second lady - which is another blog post). I try to opt out of those center tables. If seated there, then every item I ordered is scrutinized by the rest of the diners. If I order safely, they look at each other and agree that I have ordered the typical food. If I order adventurously, then I really become the center of attention. And of course, my chopstick skills, my "chew and spit skills" (used for meat and fish dishes with bones intact) and my drink choices are always quick whispered topics of discussion.

I had spotted a restaurant near my hotel the last time I was in Shanghai. It seemed very busy. And very local. With Andy, and a few faithful readers in mind, I trudged off for the adventure.

It was indeed popular. I could tell from the menu they gave me that this was actually one member of a chain of restaurants under the same name around China. THey prided themselves in ``factory" produced food.

My menu had pictures, titles of the food, but descriptions were all in local characters. One page on the front cover seemed to explain their specialities. And so, I ventured to order the interesting things in life.

My meal ended up consisting of:

Bi Feng Tang Fresh Prawn Dumplings

Deep-Fried Duck Chins with Salt and Chili

Slice Goose with TeoChew Spiced Sauce

Stir-fried Shuidong leaf Mustard



It was definitely and adventurous meal. I can't say there was anything I would absolutely refuse to eat again. But There wasn't much I would rush to have a second time.

Of course, the house specialty, and most daring for me was the Duck chins. I have had a chance to have duck tongue and duck feet, both of which are exactly what they say they are. I wasn't so sure what a duck chin would taste like. Or do they even have a chin. Is that the same thing as their "waddle?" (how in the heck did I even know that name!?) As you can see in the picture, what you are really getting is the duck cheek. And to be honest, there wasn't even much there. The skin was tasty. The few bit of meet around the cheek are was good. But the turn off is that the cheek is near the eye. And that is just weird.

I think it is interesting that they cover the beaks with tin foil. I guess it is just to weird or more weird to be eating with the bills exposed.

I am glad I did it As I would tell my nieces and nephews, another thing to add to the first time list!




1 comment:

Andreas E said...

Got two words for you: Thank you!!!