Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CHICAGO: Wine, Swine and Cheese

Tuesday night.
In Chicago.
Work is done. 10:00.
What do you do?

What I won't do is this:



I am surprised at how many people order room service.

We are in a marvelous food city for heavens sake.

And so I took out my new IPAD, went to Yelp, and searched for 4 star restaurants within a mile of my hotel.







I ended up at a place called The Purple Pig.

The menu said the restaurant specialized in Cheese, Swine and Wine.

How wonderful is that?
What better could you ask for in a combination?
(Ok, if they said, "Cheese, Swine, Wine and Pecan Pie" then it might be even better!)

But I was pretty satisfied.

I had small courses that included a dish if deep fried pigs ears, topped with an egg. The second dish was bone marrow - two thick bones with bread to use on the marrow dug from the bones.

For cheese, I asked for a the stinkiest on the menu, plus a piece of blue cheese.

And the best wine for all of this?

A nice French pino noir.

Eating alone?

No worries. I called home to my family to check in on my father. And so, I sat in the corner of the restaurant, eating my gourmet grub, and talked through the day with my folks.

Not a bad way to spend a night in Chicago!

Rick

1 comment:

Andreas E said...

Ah, the bones remind me of St John in London, Fergus Henderson's place! Nose to tail eating, is his claim to fame. And well deserved! /Andreas E