Sunday, October 2, 2011

Las Vegas - a bit of work and pleasure!

The good news is that I am in a place that, outside of New York, must have the per square capita of best restaurants in the USA. Every night can be a "top chef" event. And you can bet that I will take advantage of great food every night.

Including tonight's late night meal at Michael Mina's restaurant "American Fish." This is the mixed grill - including everything from shrimp to squid, razor clam, scallops and fish. And the one off - bratwurst. Perhaps for October fest?

On the other hand - it is Sunday. I was up at 7am to go to a day long session called "HR Evolution" What? Up on a Sunday morning for a conference. And - I paid to go to it? Like the next several days, it is the first time in my career that I have PAID to go to a conference (as compared to having my employer pay.) It is a bit of a test. Is it possible to pay for a conference on my own - and have it be worth while to pay for the expenditure.

By 4:00, I am trying to find a Starbucks, and wondering, "what in the heck am I doing here?" But shortly after that, one lonely soul walked up to me and started to talk. Someone came to her and said, "come on - let's go for a drink." I followed along. And 6 hours later, literally, I was convinced about my expenditure. During that informal time, I was introduced to some thought leaders that made it all worth while.

FUnny how that all works out.

For conferences like this - I make it my goal to meet 10 impactful relationships. On day 1 - I am at four. It is a good start.

Plus - I am at a great resort in Vegas, eating great food.

A pretty good job, eh?

No comments: