Thursday, September 1, 2011

On a lake in the middle of China.

 
I am a little handicapped.

I can't access my Facebook, Google blogs or twitter. I am not quite sure how some of these messages are going out. Thanks China. None-the-less, I am trying.

My official work ended on Wednesday here in China. Finally, no matter what it took, I told myself that I was going to finally get out of Shanghai, and go see some other place in China. I took the adventure today to get myself to Hangzhou. It is not far from Shanghai - only 120 miles. But at least, I have an adventure!

Hangzhou was the capital of China many many many years ago. Now, it is a second tier city, with a beautiful lake. (China - as well as other countries, have an interesting habit of "moving" the capital when one becomes very popular, in order to create growth or prosperity in a new city.

Although a big city, in US standards, the city is also home to "westlake" - a beautiful lake that is a tourist and lovers mecca attraction.

And with the addition of a very famous high speed rail system that opened last year, the train trip that used to take a half day from Shanghai now literally takes less that an hour. But what do you expect when you are moving at over 300 KM per hour on a bullet train.
























I took care of some personal business and professional business this morning (sleeping late - and making a trip to my local bank to reset internet passwords.... the bank challenges here in China are exhausting...)

I didn't quite know how or when, but I woke up today, knowing that I would end up in Hangzhou tonight.

I made an online reservation for a hotel (seriously - what would we do without the internet... I remember backbacking through Europe in 1994 - and negotiating with people at train stations - that is so old school! And glad to be rid of it...)

I then went to my hotel lobby - and had the man print out various departure times from one of the train stations that could get me to my destination.

A couple of hours later, with some waiting in lines and benches, I was on the bullet train to Hangzhou. The trip was marvelous. I started out the window the entire time, enthralled to see the part of the country side that the new speed train cut through.

I swear. If there is ever a doubt as to the potential of this country  and the mass amount of resources - ranging from people to shear tenacity - just take this trip - and you will be amazed at what you see!

Once arrived, I had to wait in line with hundreds of people to get a taxi to my hotel. But soon, I arrived, checked in, threw my things down, and headed out the door to walk the lake.

Several hours later, with a great tour of the lake, I am now sitting at the Shangri-la Hotel, miles away from my hotel. How I will get back, I am not sure.

But after several hours of walking, I needed a break. A five start hotel bar is usually a sure bet. And this was a good choice. I am the only one in the entire bar. Three people are serving me. They have on tap German wheat beer (for my parents - it is Paulaner - the tent we sat in during out Octoberfest trip!)

The hotel has free wifi - free german pretzels - all an oasis to the world I will return to outside.

China continues to be amazing - immense - and full of fast and buzzing changes!

I wish you all well.

Rick

Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

Eduardo Infante @InvenioCoaching said...

Have a safe trip back, Rick. Take care, Eduardo

Eduardo Infante @InvenioCoaching said...
This comment has been removed by the author.